Friday, January 20, 2012

First Updates from Ghana :-)

Let me start off by stating this post is going to be a long one. To help you all pick which experience you’d like to hear about (although I don’t know whyyyy you wouldn’t want to read everything), let me break it down into a small list:

1) The Flight

2) First Impressions of Ghana

3) Orientation

4) CIEE Students

5) CIEE Staff

6) What's Next?

1) The Flight

I flew on a red-eye British Airways flight from JFK to London, had a four hour layover, then flew London to Accra. The physical commute across the Atlantic was absolutely perfect!! I got to JFK about an hour before takeoff, took all of five minutes to check-in and get through security, and had time to spare before boarding began. Once on board, I had my own three seat section as the flight was not fully booked (which was great for me sleeping through the 6 hour flight). After the plane landed in London, I realized that another CIEE student was on the same one with me, and to say the least we had an adventure trying to get to our next gate. Like JFK, they have sort of an “AirTran” to take you to various gates, but since we got there so early, none of our flight info was posted. We ended up waiting about 3 hours to figure out where we needed to go, but once we got there we met up with about 5 other students in our program

The flight from London to Accra was a little more eventful. First of all, it was to capacity. May not sound like a big deal, but sitting in coach with a bunch of half drunk Ghanaians, expatriates, and babies was hilarious! I sat next to an elderly gentleman whom when I was asleep tucked me in with his extra flight blanket. I woke up kind of freaked out—but hey! I guess it’s the thought that counts. (I guess it’s worth mentioning that once the plane landed he immediately asked me if I would consider marrying his son who was waiting outside. I laughed, but he was still looking at me dead serious. I guess he wasn't joking lol).

We met up with other students on a KLM flight, went through immigration and customs, and were met by two U-Pals (UGhana students who serve as our mentors) Kwabesia and Gideon. They’re both so nice, so funny, and so helpful! Once everyone claimed their luggage, we boarded the bus and went our way to the hotel…

2) First Impressions of Ghana

- Ghana is beautifully HOT! We’ve been indoors/in AC most of the time but spend most nights outdoors hanging out. I’m sure I might have a different opinion on the weather once classes start, and AC isn’t readily available!

- The people are truly kind. Everyone’s very willing to help…good intentions? Je ne sais pas. But I haven’t had any issues yet.

- Everything is cheap cheap cheap!

- Although Ghana is remains a developing nation, I was so surprised to see huge buildings, Western businesses (as soon as you get off the plane, there are ads for KFC, TacoBell, The Marriot, even the Kardashians -_-)

- Bargaining is the key to survival. I kind of had a problem with this at first because to me, as the prices are so low, I don’t see a need to bargain. But considering that minimum wage here is 2USD, typical Ghanaians haggle for EVERYTHING!

- In terms of safety, I haven’t felt unsafe at all! But again, we’ve been in the safe cradle of The Ange Hill Hotel since Wednesday so maybe that will change too!

- The men in Ghana…man! So aggressive. I’ve had countless attempts at getting my cell number, email address, BBM, even requests for Visas! No marriage proposal yet though lol Not to worry! They're also very friendly, respectful, and love to strike up casual conversations about absolutely nothing. (For example, one of the hotel employees continues to follow me saying "Olisa...I'll never forget that beautiful name. His agenda however: "Olisa...I like you so much now. You dey have cellular? Chale dash me!" HAHAHA I guess there's a trade-off!)

- I’m sure there are more…but I’ll update later.

3) Orientation

Orientation has been very thorough. We’ve learned about academics, Ghana safety, modes of transportation, been to the Accra mall to get cell phones, internet, etc, and basic adjustment topics needed to survive in Ghana I guess. To be honest…I hate all kinds of orientations. I feel like I’m a freshman again. I know it’s needed, but still—I get so bored! Tonight we had dinner and went dancing at this spot call Chez Afrique. The food is AMAZING! (Sidebar: I love the food here. The perfect level of spiciness and it all tastes so similar to Nigerian food. One thing I’m not a big fan of is how heavy all the meals are. Tons of rice, yams, plantains [kelewele is my new favorite though!], and multiple kinds of meats each meal.) After which we danced inside, were drenched in sweat, and walked back to the hotel. I’m glad Gideon and other UPals taught us how to Azonto (Although I probs look a mess doing it) because that’s seriously all the natives do now. I battled one man at Chez Afrique..…I lost

4) CIEE Students

There are a little fewer than 40 of us here, and the students are from all over the place! Some have mutual friends with me, some I actually haven’t spoken to much, some I have. Everyone is friendly though. Can’t say I’ve been hanging out with a group of people exclusively…trying not to get caught up in the safe American student net. I’m sure it’ll be easier to branch out with non-Americans once we move in tomorrow! All in all, everyone in the program is wonderful!

5) CIEE Staff

HILARIOUS!!!...and helpful! Really not much more to say about them.

6) What’s Next?

Tomorrow I believe we have morning orientation, lunch, and then pack up to move into UG! I’ll be living in the International Student Hostel (ISH). I went with UPal Gideon and Evans to see Pentagon (which is where I wanted to live *side eye*) and it looks just like newly remodeled apartment complexes we have back in the US. Once inside though, you know you’re in Ghana. Gideon and Evans live in a room with two other people, have their own kitchen, bathroom, and balcony. It was spacious enough…but I think it would be hard to have 4 men living in the space. Hopefully my room will be decent (as will my roommate). Regardless, I’m excited to be done with CIEE orientation, out of the hotel, and really immersed in Ghana. I’ll be meeting up with a few Ghanaians (some I know personally, some are friends of friends, and one family is my boss’ parents. Hype!) Once I get settled in ISH. They’re all so excited to hang out which I love! This semester is already shaping up to be a great one and I couldn’t be any happier with my decision to come. I promise I'll add photos to the blog...once I start taking some. I'm horrible at capturing photos though. Just a heads up!

Blog again soon!!

4 comments:

  1. Some of your first impressions sounded similar to mine about Thailand! I'm sure once you get settled in you will soon become comfortable with bargaining, because EVERYONE bargains. No one ever accepts the first price on anything. And it actually becomes fun! I don't know about Ghana, but in Thailand there was a price for Thais and a price for foreigners, with foreigners paying a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! They keep telling us that we should make sure we say "no obruni price" which is like no foreigner price!! I refuse to let them get me :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a fab posting! Please dont fall for a man!! They want you for your blue passport, trust me I know!!!!

    When are pictures coming?

    Are you ever online (gmail, skype)?

    will you have internet in the dorms?

    N-unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ngozi! I promise not to fall for these Ghanaian men lol. I'm going to upload pictures as soon as I have more consistent internet access. I've moved into my dorm, and will probably go to the mall and get my internet modem on Monday. I let you know when I do it!!

      Delete