Friday, January 13, 2012

In Case You Were Wondering...

Just kidding, I've got one more post in me for the night. This is what happens at 3am when I'm not sleepy.

Things I'm excited about...
  1. The weather. I don't think anyone understands how much I loveeeeee hot weather. Like, brutally hot weather. I'm all over it. I go to school in Maine, so a winter without snow and negative gazillion degree weather is everything to me.
  2. The fashion. I cannot wait to make my way up to Kumasi especially and get amazing fabric to have clothes made. Is it just me, or does anyone else get offended when high end designers like Burberry, Michael Kors, Donna Karan draw upon their "African-Inspirations" for their collections? I always wonder if they truly value the premises in which the colors, patterns, and materials influence wardrobe. It's been made very clear to me that in GH, everyone dresses to impress--all day, errrrr day! I'm for that life. Colby students fall wayyyy short to this culturally understood dress code, and since I'm such a girl **twirls hair around finger** I'll have no problem with this.
  3. The food. My obsession with spicy food is only going to go into overdrive in GH. Luckily since I won't be in a homestay, I'll be preparing all of my own food. Since fresh fruits and veggies flow freely through the Accra/Legon markets, I'm sure I'll be in heaven. Ghanaian food is very much so similar to Naija food, so it's very starch and meat based. That might be a slight issue for me. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly appreciate a good piece of meat, but all the time though? That's too much. But I'll deal.
  4. Meeting Ghanaians. Pretty self explanatory....
  5. Visiting Cape Coast, the slave castles, and waterfalls. Rich history. Rich present. Rich errrrthang.
  6. Music and Dancing. This might be the one thing I'm most excited for. I can seriously spend all day singing (off key) and dancing, and since both are essential components to Ghanaian culture, I'm going to make it a point to do as much of both as possible. I've already enrolled in two African dance courses, and hope to squeeze in a drumming one at some point. Watch, when I get back, I'll be a one-woman performing troupe lol.
  7. ME time. I look forward to leaving many of my worries at home, and reflecting on my future once I get to GH. I'm considering deactivating my Facebook (most likely than not, it'll be gone while I'm abroad. Twitter however, stays lol). Immersing myself in the moment, not worrying about much, and appreciating everything will be my central focus.
Now for a few things I'm worried about:
  1. Getting sick. I hate being sick. It doesn't happen too often to me, but when it does, it's always horrible. Like, two seconds from death horrible! I've accepted the fact that I'll get travelers diarrhea, but malaria, typhoid, even the flu creeps me out. I'm going to be such a germ freak once I get there. I have an insane arsenal of antibacterial soaps, lotions, OTC medication, bug sprays, SSS, etc. Let's hope I'm covered!
  2. Sanitation. Or lack there of...
  3. Running water. Or lack there of...
  4. Missing my family and friends. I never, ever, get home sick. Then again, I've never been out the country alone for such a long period of time. I know I'll survive, but it's gonna be tough a some point I'm sure!! My best friends (heyyyy Ms.Moo Goo, JessBelle, Delly) and I have weekly (hilariousssss might I add) conference calls, and I'm so sad to not be a part of them for 5 months. I'll definitely miss my Colby crew too! You all had better keep me posted though, or else lol.
That's really all though. I'm not worried about too much. Nothing (IMO) too irrational either. SO SOON SO SOON SO SOON!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment