Thursday, January 26, 2012

How Conveniently Inconvenient...

Hello everyone J It’s time for another update…hope you’re excited about it. A lot has been going on since my last blog post, so to keep my thoughts organized, I’m going to stick with making lists of topics to be discussed. Here we go:

1) International Student Hostel & Day-to-Day Living
2) International Programmes Office Orientation
3) Random Shenanigans
4) An Interesting Observation
5) Ghana is Conveniently Inconvenient
6) This is Ghana!
7) What’s Next?

1) International Student Hostel & Day-to-Day Living

As mentioned in my last post, I have moved into my room for this semester on campus. It’s a pretty standard dorm room, with a armoire, desk, chair, end table, bed, and bookshelf. I’ll add photos to show you all what it looks like:


My roommate still has not moved in, but according to the porters, all other students will be moved in by Sunday. I liked the solitary feel of my room at first, but I think I’m ready for someone to move in. I live right below one of the lounges in ISH, so almost every night I hear people raging upstairs. It’s crazy how thin the walls are.

ISH definitely has its pros and cons. All of the people on the program live here, so it’s really easy for everyone to hangout or get in contact with each other whenever we want. There are tons of international students living here (I swear there’s an equal amount of Nigerians as compared to the Ghanaians.) We have a small convenient store downstairs, as well as a very very mini kitchen that serves food. They have the best red-red and it’s very reasonably priced. ISH is also by the Night Market…and I must say I’m not a big fan. Now in my mind, I thought it would be like a Pathmark or something (ok, maybe not that modern) but I was shocked when I first went there. Imagine a bunch of wooden carnival booths bunched together in an abandoned parking lot…that’s the Night Market. You can find almost everything there, but the fact that the food stays out all day, unheated, and unsanitary makes me choose other options. I had jollof rice, plantains, and chicken from there the other day, and never again! EVER! ISH is also quite far from the main part of campus. To get to the academic buildings we have to walk at least 20-30 minutes, and then more time to your specific department. May not seem like a long time, but in the heat of Accra, it gets rough L. We’ve also been without water for two going on three days now. I’m currently typing this blog post after my bucket water bath, drinking water out of a plastic bag, sitting under a mosquito net. No one can EVER call me high maintenance again! I know it sounds a lot like I’m complaining, but I’ll make my point towards the end of the post.

2) International Programmes Office Orientation

YES! We had to go through a second series of orientation meetings this week. UGH has an international students orientation, and to be honest, slept through 80% of it lol. I really did try to stay awake, but they repeated EVERYTHING CIEE so eloquently outlined for us last week. Maybe I’m a jerk for it, but the fatigue won. It’s over now, so I can finally register for courses tomorrow morning (or whenever…depending on when I publish this post).

3) Random Shenanigans

Something I’m really excited about is the fact that Shelbie and I got our hair braided today in Madina! To get there we took a tro-tro (similar to NYC dollar vans, but cheaper. Our 15-20 minute ride was only 40 pesewas/ 25 US Cents!) into Madina, and it was completely bizarre. The only semi equivalent comparison I can think of is Chinatown—but even that’s not busy enough. Madina is so incredibly crowded. People were selling electronics, appliances, food, shoes, “obruni clothes” (think Goodwill), and of course hair. We were lead down some sort of back street, and got to the shop that sold packs of Kanekalon (all you black girls know I’m sure! HAHAHAHAHA) I got 4 packs of hair for 12 cedis. We then made our way to the braiding salon. Once we got there, it was like all eyes were on Shelbie, Kweasibea (our UPal), and I. It was very strange…but I’ll elaborate on why later. Kweasibea got us situated, and translated how we wanted our braids to the Madame of the shop. It took about 6 hours, seven women, and experiencing the ratchetness of Madina to get my hair finished. Would I do it again? Absolutely! My braids only cost 25 cedis/~15USD. When I usually pay 100-150 USD, I’ll take Ghanaians price any day!

4) An Interesting Observation

Here’s something a few friends and I have noticed about Ghanaian women. In general, when in the presence of Ghanaian women, one can feel a very cold vibe. I find myself completely frustrated and confused when with them because they have such a blank/intense stare that makes you feel as if they either don’t care/understand/both what you’re saying, which is so frustrating. But here’s the catch! Once they begin to speak to you, they’re some of the nicest people ever! It’s very strange, and I have to keep reminding myself that it’s just what they do. The NYer in me wants to black on them…but I quickly remember where I am and have a seat.

5) Ghana is Conveniently Inconvenient

Another student said this last night at dinner, and I thought it was so funny and so true. It describes how I’m feeling about GH at the moment. A love/hate relationship—with love greatly outweighing hate. While I’ve been having such a great time here, I get so annoyed at some things that are just 100% inconvenient for everyone. For example, it’s convenient to spend the afternoon walking with friends, catching up, taking your time, and enjoying the outdoors, but the open gutters alongside the road make doing so very inconvenient. The sachets of water quench thirst, but the bags are utterly ridiculous! OMG this is the one that bothers me the most---Ghanaians NEVER have change. I know it sounds crazy, but understand me here. It’s as if any bill over 10 cedis can’t be used in stores due to their lack of change. We get looked at CRAZY when trying to pay for things with larger bills, and then the attitude kicks in. I just don’t understand it. Everyone pays for everything in change/small bills, but owners never seem to have change. As I re-read this, I sound so crazy, but if you were here you’d definitely understand (at least I hope so!) The concept of time is very foreign here and it takes forever for things to get done. Daily productivity is definitely not a focal point here.

6) This is Ghana!

I feel as if this post is full of all the negatives I can think about in GH. If taken at face value, then yes, it is! But, while all the aforementioned frustrate me at times, they’re also the reason why I love Ghana. A few of us were hanging out with one of the UPals the other night (Atsu), and he put it all into perspective for me. As one of Ghana’s most admired dancers, Atsu has managed to stay grounded, humble, and simple. To him, it’s all about interpersonal relationships, doing well for yourself and others, and putting positive energy into the world! I wish I had the time to detail EVERYTHING Atsu talked to us about, but I’m going to keep that a secret. Just know it was beautiful, and made me appreciate the smaller things in life (ex: The water was one for about 20 minutes tonight, and it’s the first time I got to shower in two days lol. I was in the shower singing and dancing praises to the gods! Who would’ve thought someone could miss showering so much. I’m telling y’all…it’s a luxury.) The Dean of International Programmes also stated something that I put things into prospective for me as well. She said “The system may not always work, but the people of Ghana do!” Studying in a third world, developing country is not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. I often times find myself comparing Ghanaian ways with what I’m used to back in New York, and I’ve found that it only leads to more frustration. Whenever things don’t go as planned, we now just say “this is Ghana.” No water? This is Ghana. No electricity? This is Ghana! Mean faced women and pushy old men? This is Ghana! Black Star Football craze? This is Ghana! This mindset has helped me to manage the stark differences between GH and the US, and I’m really learning, loving, and laughing more than I ever have before! The convenient inconvenience of day-to-day doings complicates living in Ghana, and I thoroughly appreciate it.

7) What’s Next?

Classes start on Monday, and I’m so excited! As of right now, it’s looking like I’ll be taking Traditional African Dance, Ghanaian Dance Forms, Twi for Beginners, Textile Design (the one I’m most looking forward to), Abnormal Psychology, and The History of Western Medicine in Ghana. I might be auditing Medical Sociology, but let me see how I feel about these other classes before I add on another one. I still need to get the modem to have constant internet, but going to the mall is holding me back. Not really trying to venture out there again soon, but it’s kind of becoming dire. Maybe tomorrow…

Thanks for reading J

8 comments:

  1. <3 the concept "Conveniently Inconvenient" The inconveniences really make you stop for a moment, slow down and appreciate the little things and the bigger things we take for granted.
    Great blog, your classes look amazing! Good luck next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olisa, saw this on your facebook and couldn't resist reading. I often think of you and your sisters. You are so worldly and educated, keep up the good work! I look forward to more of your posts! :) Hope all else is well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle!! I hope all is well with you too!!

      Delete
  3. Great post Olisa! Love reading about your experience, but I was expecting a picture of your new hair! How you dey mention it and not show us your new inexpensive 'do! I'll be waiting for more pics with the next post....

    Also, how random that someone who reads my blog is in Ghana right now! I believe she is in Accra and you should definitley hit her up. Tell her you're Chinye's little sister :-) Here blog is http://mebolife.blogspot.com/ Tell her I sent you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely get in contact with her sometime. I'll take pics of my hair and post it lol

      Delete
  4. This is an awesome post! I love how detailed and specific your blog post is. Are yeah seriously, when are we going to see this new inexpensive hair do! So I know you got your modem now, does this mean that you have constant Internet access in your dorm? also is your phone up and running? What is the best way to talk to you? Gmail, Skype, calling you on your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I have pretty constant internet...but remember, this is Ghana lol. May not be the fastest/most reliable so Skype is sketchy. I can call you through G Chat our late nights, your eastern afternoon/evening. Just give me a time!

    ReplyDelete