Sunday, April 8, 2012

Time is flying by...

....and it's a bittersweet feeling!

I cannot believe it's been almost a month since I've last updated you all. My fault. What have I been up to?

For one, about three weeks ago, Sydney, Shelbie, Tom, Harrison, Jeremy and I journeyed to the Volta Region to visit the New Seed International Orphanage. Not gonna lie, the ride there was not pleasant! After we said our prayer, we left ISH around 6am, and headed to Okponglo to catch a tro tro to Tema Station. Once there, we had to find one of the vans that would be heading up to Volta. This was moderately easy to do since it was semi-early and the market was kind of tame. Kind of. Once we found the proper van, we had to sit and wait for it to fill up!! Seeing as it gets to 150 degrees by 8am, sitting and waiting for an hour and a half in the sweltering heat is torture! The ride took about 3-4 hours, but once we got there it was so worth it. The children were wonderful, and so was all of the staff at the orphanage. We spent the evening playing games, dancing, teaching, and telling stories to the kids. They loved us (and we loved them of course). We left the following morning without the boys...they wanted to go to the Wli Waterfalls, Monkey Sanctuary, and juju doctor. As a Nigerian, I know to stay FARRRRRR away from any smell of juju, meaning that was definitely out of the question for me!

Last weekend was my friend Afia's 21st birthday celebration. In true princess fashion, she celebrated all week (#whynot? *Kofi voice*) I had a blast at each event. We did drinks at this place called Rhapsody in the mall (which is so swanky...even by American standards! The drinks were super pricey, but quite tasty). I had a good time laughing and hanging out there. The following night, she had her official birthday party at Sweetie's Lounge. It was dry at first, but definitely picked up. Most people/obrunis left around 2am, but Afia was not ready to go home so we ventured to my new favorite spot: Hollywood Blvd. O-M-G I had a blasstttttttt!! The music was on point, the crowd was tastefully ratch, and we danced till morning. I woke up the next day with a swollen knee and to this day I have no idea why I was in so much pain. Maybe it was the heels + dancing + jumping on couches (don't ask) but I was not happy when I awoke. On Saturday, Afia invited us to her family's house for her birthday lunch. And by lunch I'm sure they meant dinner. WE were told to get there by 2pm, but Emefa (Afia's roommate) warned us about how bad Ghanaian time is. We got there at 3:30 and were still early! Food wasn't served until 5pm, but it was totes magotes fine. We hung out on their patio with Afia's boo piece, his friend, and her family. It was a wonderful kick back!! Again, Afia wanted to go out, so we went to this bar/lounge called Lagos Ave. Afia's boo (his name is Julius...he looks EXACTLY like Beyonce's body guard which is a mind f**k) was a messss!! Jules is hilarious. I wouldn't even know where to start with him. It was one of the best weekends I've had in the GH! Good times. Good times.

This past weekend was another splendid one. Friday afternoon, Syd, Shelbie and I went to Okponglo to buy a few dresses and shoes. Such pretty designs, I wanted them all, but I gotta stop balling on no budget. I did get one though...20 cedis. Pas mal. Since we were close to the A&C Mall, we decided to have dinner at Luscious Temptations. This is another very chill spot. We got there at 6 which meant it was still happy hour. #badidea. They have these Ultimate Friday drinks which are MASSIVE (think the ones from BBQ's). Since it was bogo, the two did me in. Did me in well. I don't know how, but I was not ok after drinking them. I should've known lol. Last, there was a "Talkin' Tees" party in which the Syd and Shelbs modeled for at Exel Nightclub. I think there were only about 8 Ghanaians in the entire venue. It's a Nigerian club and you can tell!! It was entirely too live. I had the best time ever! It was also fun reading what everyone had on their tees. One thing I love about Naijas (esp in GH) is that they know how to have a good time. It was packed (in a good way) and the music was phenom. By the time we left the sun was up...and it was Easter Sunday lol.

Tomorrow is a holiday here in GH, so I don't have classes...not like I would've gone though. Just being honest *Kanye shrug*. I think we're going to go to the beach for the day. I just want to lay, maybe shop a bit. I heard Kokrobite beach has dress sellers that have clothes for about 4-5ghc. You know I'm there. This coming weekend CIEE is finally taking us to Kumasi. I am so excited! I need to buy some Kente (for graduation especially). Prof. Kofi (my Twi instructor) brought his to class the other day. I was the size of a blanket, and he said it cost him about 1000ghc -_- Looks like I'm about to drop cedi stacks at the Kumasi market....

Until next time...

xoxo
Oli

No comments:

Post a Comment